Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breakfast before a hike

I was shooting photos for a class of mine last weekend and I didnt have time to eat breakfast. I am going to say that was one of my worst decisions ever. It was early in the morning and I did not leave myself ample time.

You see, I was photographing a climber and we had to hike through the woods of Swanzey to get to the cliff. It was snowing and pretty darn cold. The hike through the woods took about 15 minutes and they climbed for about two hours.

Because I hadnt eaten my hunger was hindering my ability to focus. I imediatly cursed myself for at least not eating a granola bar, which I have plenty of back in my room. The climber told me I could get some shots of them climbing from on top of the cliff all I had to do was walk around and hike up.

At this point my concentration was so hindered that after I hiked to the top, took the pictures and walked down, I lost the cliffs edge, and had a sinking feeling in my already empty stomach. I was lost. My brain wasnt fueled, my glucose sugar levels were low, and i spaced out just long enough to get lost. A frantic marco polo game got me out of that situation but, it was still a very scary moment.

So let my blunder be a lesson to you, if your going hiking in the woods, or anything where you need to be focused, eat your breakfast.

Anyone else have any stories like this? I think it is important to higlight this issue, focus is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment