Thursday, September 24, 2009

Change brings em' in

I drove down 101 last weekend and I noticed something strange but familiar: What once was green is now orange and red. That's right the foliage season is upon us again and it sure does feel too early for fall, even though it is now officially so. I don't know about you but I'm still waiting for the summer-that-never-was. But I guess we must leave the past behind us and turn towards the near future. This foliage season could be just what the economy doctor ordered.

I know Keene isn't a huge summer vacation spot, but there are parts of New Hampshire that missed out on a lot of beach visits this past summer. And as we leave that part of 2009 we now may see an economical tourist boost in this part of New England. I must say, if I didn't already live in New Hampshire I would be a leaf peeper, your worst highway nightmare.

But never the less, those stop-and-go road crawlers are just what we need today. With state and city still tightening their belts and funds being slashed in non profit community organizations, we need people moving through New Hampshire. We should welcome these foreign folk stopping and eating at our restaurants, using our public transportation, buying from our liquor stores when they come in and out of the state...

So even though summer never really made it to us, perhaps this fall season will make us forget all about that, with a nice heavy wallet.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of those New Yorkers in Quahog, RI in that one Family Guy episode. Yes, those out of staters are very annoying, but with the lack of a summer, business is going to be made or broken by the next few weeks by those nutty out of staters.

    ReplyDelete