Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hacking and Hiking

There is a significant chill in the air and the guy running or biking by you may have just coughed or sneezed in your general direction. The flu season is hitting a little early this year and with H1N1 on the rise and on the move, I figured now would be the time to talk about healthy practices and enjoying the weather.

I'm not going to tell you to wash your hands because that's common sense by now but one thing I bet you don't know is that a chill in the air can actually be good for a cold. I talked to Tiffany Mathews, the coordinator of wellness education at Keene State College, a year or two ago and she informed me that with the proper warm attire little bits of cool fresh air into the lungs can help combat the virus, vs what I call a warm, stuffy germ incubator a room makes.

But with this remember, rest is best. You can take brief walks outside, but I wouldn't recommend going for a jog or a hike or even a bike ride. You need to rest your body while it fights off the virus or you'll throw it into strain and become even more sick.

So I just wanted to let you know, just because your sick doesn't mean you cant take 2-5 minute trips outside to get into the fresh air. It just means don't go for a run and pass out on Appian Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment